Sunday, October 28, 2007

Bilingual songs Cool

Hikki (宇多田ひかる) is pretty cool. I was listening to her song "Distance" I think, I like how she goes back and forth between Japanese and English lyrics. It's a really cool effect.

There was a movie about a decade ago directed by Shunji Iwai called 「スワロウテイル」or "Swallowtail Butterfly". It takes place in a town called "Yentown" where everyone speaks a mixture of Japanese, Chinese, and English. The result is really cool. It's an awesome movie as well, but beware: lots of Iwai's movies are a little depressing at times. I saw a few other movies he directed, including 「花とアリス」(Hana and Alice), 「Love Letter」, 「リリイ・シュシュのすべて」(All About Lily Chou-Chou). I liked them all, but this was a few years back, so I'm not sure if my tastes have changed.

6 comments:

Alexander Calhoun said...

Shunji Iwai seems really interesting. I don't know his work, but apparently he worked on a documentary about another Japanese director, Kon Ichikawa, whose movies I've seen. They're much older, but they're really great. Anyway I'll be sure to check out some of these!

MissJenny said...

Andrew Sang~~~

i love 宇多田光 too!!!! she's such an awesome singer!!! have you ever heard her first love? it's soo good.

^^jenny

Hiemann Lee said...

Haha 宇多田ひかる is another one of my guilty pleasures. I have all her albums in my music library. I think she lost her touch recently, but I feel that about almost all artists that I used to like before...

There's a lot of versions of that song. Final Distance is on her album Deep River. It sounds more rich and sombre. There's also a remix by the HipHop duo m-flo. You should check it out.

And about cheap airfare. Hm... I wouldn't know. You just have to go when it isn't holiday season haha.

ルプリ・ニック said...

うえっす。ルプリ・ニックと申します。パーデュー(Purdue)大学の二年生で、日本語301って言うクラスを取っている。四六四九な!

教授のブログにはコロンビア大学って言うリンクがあったし、ここへ来てブログに対して返事を出してみようかなと思って。

ヒッキとしては、僕もな、チョォ好きやな。連日連夜その音楽を聞き、本当に立派な音楽家だと思う。まあ、必ず下よく字多田・光のを聞けばヒッキの歌曲が全部良いと言う事とは限らないけれどな。笑笑

なずきあん said...

せんしゅう、宇多田ヒカルを テレビでみました。
あたらしい うた(song)を ききました。とても
いいうたです〜〜

Anonymous said...

Well written article.