Sunday, October 7, 2007

にほんご novelty

にほんごは、for many learners, seems to be a novelty.
When they first start, the class seems interesting and おもしろい。
As the difficulty increases they lose interest pretty fast. This is, of course, a common phenomenon.

Judging by the pace of our class, I can sort of see why this is the case. The people who are really interested in learning about the Japanese language and culture have already been exposed, to a quite large degree, to a lot of the idiosyncrasies of にほんご and get past the initial learning stages with no trouble at all.

I get the impression that a lot of people are turned off because the pacing is a little quick, with a lot of vocab and not too much cultural immersion.
When I was in Japan this summer, every minute I felt like I was learning so much about にほんのculture and language (even when I wasn't doing anything!). It really is the feeling of immersion that you need to be really interested in learning about a language and culture.

Same with ちゅうごくご。 I'm a pretty pragmatic thinker, so I would never learn Chinese if I didn't feel a reason to. Even now I know very few people who only speak Chinese, so I don't have much interest in learning it. I'm starting to listen to some C-POP and Taiwan-Pop so I have a little more impetus. And why learn かんこくご? That seems more practical to me than Chinese, since a lot of Korean people seem to speak exclusively in Korean to each other, and I want to know what they're saying. It's also a little novel, since I know lots of people study Chinese and Japanese but not Korean for some reason...

3 comments:

Bommy Kim said...

Hmm...I don't know how to do it using English output...Like I don't think there is a romaji-type thing for Korean like there is for Japanese so you'll just have to learn the keyboard hahah...It's not that hard though.

Unknown said...

Very interesting post.

How can we include "Japanese culture" in class? Do you have any suggestions?

はなえ said...

アンドリュさん、にほんでなんいをしましたか。